Sunday, May 1, 2011

Journal #6 NETS-T lll & V

Warlick, D. (2009). Grow your personal learning networks. Learning and Leading with Technology, 36(6).
The article that described personal learning networks was essential to my understanding about the complexity of PLNs. I believe that it is very important to be up to date on the information and communication technologies. The article detailed the three different types of PLNs. Sychronous PLNs are very traditional network tools. Tools such as iChat or skype can be used to communicate with individuals for work meetings in locations across the world and bridge the gap between different cultures and distance. Semisynchronous PLN’s refer to tools that can be used for communication with various professionals across the world over longer time periods. Google Docs, Twitter, and Blogs are great examples of PLN tools that can be useful to individuals to collect information from many sources. The last type of PLN’s are asynchronous . This was the first time that I was introduced to RSS aggregators. Subscribing to RSS feeds is an easy and effortless way of being linked to information that a digital user is interested in. I have personally seen the benefit of using Diigo to bookmark pages and tagging topics of interest to be sent further information recommended by other professionals.
Q1: How would I utilize asynchronous tools such as Diigo to help me create my class curriculum?
A1: Each summer I would tag topics of interest for the next school year. I would get new ideas and effective teaching strategies from other teachers who find useful information or have past experience with the age groups and topics I will be dealing with in my own classroom
Q2: How could I promote the semisynchronous tool Google Docs in my classroom to support collaborative learning?
A2: For credit points, I would have my students share documents to work on peer reviews of rough drafts for papers.  I would have students leave comments and I would also post feedback for students to improve their clarity and writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment