Sunday, May 1, 2011

Journal #9 NETS-T l,ll,lll, V


"Teaching Green” Waters, J. (2011). Teaching green. THE Journal , Retrieved from http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/1105/journal_201104/#/12

            I really enjoyed this article. In my upper division coursework, I took a class on human impacts on environment. This article had some great resources that could be utilized in classrooms for all age groups. I agree with the author that teaching children about environmental issues in grades K-12 is vital to maintaining a healthy living environment. “Teaching Green,” details several websites that are available to teachers and students that are fun and informative. Websites such as “A Walk in the Woods,” give students opportunities to take virtual trips on a computer through woodland areas that usually require field trips and money that many schools today do have funds to support. I was impressed with the PowerUp game that promotes community service and digital user’s collaboration to fix wind turbines or build solar towers to help the planet. Many of the websites that were discussed by the author have teacher lesson plans that cover a variety of topics that encourage US Environmental protection.
Q1: How would I aid in the movement of “Green Schools” alongside the other entire required curriculum?
A1: As extra credit opportunities, I would encourage my students to explore several websites that educate the community about environmental issues. I would have my students use the Diigo artifact to tag five websites and explain how their findings can help preserve the environment!
Q2: How would I incorporate environmental education into a biology class?
A2: I would utilize the Classroom Earth website. I would design a lesson plan that gave students the tools to discuss energy and climate changes around the world. I would have my students navigate pages and websites to gather their information.

No comments:

Post a Comment