Sunday, May 1, 2011

Journal #8 NETS-T lV,V


Bogacz, R., & Gordillo, M.G. (2011). Should schools be held responsible for cyberbullying?j Learning and Leading with Technology, 38(6), 6-7.

The article centered on cyberbullying is very informative. The author gave two very different opinions related to who should be held responsible for cyberbullying. I truly felt that the supporters of schools taking responsibility for cyberbullying had strong arguments.  Renee Bogacz explained how the whole community needs to come together and fight cyberbullying. School administrators and teachers need to stay informed and enforce consequences. Parents and students need to get involved and report any events of this issue. Miguel Gomez Gordillo strongly argues that the responsibility of cyberbullying needs to fall back on the family. He suggests that if consistent family love and support existed in every home, children would be provided with that “vaccine” against bullying. Gordillo advises schools to work closely with the parents and help them to become their children’s primary educators. If healthy family environments become more prevalent, our society’s overall well-being can be improved and schools can contribute to the cause.
Q1: How would I try to promote parental involvement in a socioeconomically disadvantaged school where I am employed?
A1: I really like the idea of meetings once a month with student’s parents. I would make sure to have an assistant available who was bilingual if I had a large number of ELL students. I would also ask students to take home weekly progress reports to have their parents sign. This would create a closer communication plan that would bridge the gap between teachers and parents.
Q2: How would I as a teacher get my students aware of cyberbullying and how to fight it?
A2: I would probably give my students example videos of cyberbullying. The visuals would help the students understand the “big idea” concepts. Also I would engage my class in an interactive activity that would suggest ideas for fighting against this issue they may encounter on the internet. This role playing game will help my students practice how to be assertive and how to take initiative as a bystander or victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment